Friday, June 25, 2010

Speedwork

I've decided to start a rather rigorous 10k training program. It will involve 3 hard training sessions a week with 2 cross training days. (It's the FIRST training program from the book Run Less, Run Faster.)

Yesterday I did my first real session of speedwork intervals: track repeats. I measured out 400m with the Garmin and then was supposed to run 8 400m repeats in 1:43 (~6:52 min/mi pace) with 400m recovery intervals in between each.

It was hard to know what 6:52 pace feels like. I was sort of hit and miss at trying to run exact 1:43s, but was always under them by a few seconds, never over. This training program I'm doing stresses being exact about the paces, but how are you supposed to know instantaneously what pace you're running? The Garmin doesn't keep up enough to really know.

My legs were quite tired after my run and my stomach was in shambles. I spent a night with many trips to the bathroom while my bowels emptied themselves repeatedly (and angrily). Was it a result of the intervals, or just a fluke stomach thing?

I also noticed that my heart rate got higher than I had previously imagined it could go. I'd only seen 190 bpm before yesterday, and the Garmin registered a max bpm of 199 yesterday. Hmmm. Interesting. According to most caculators, 194 should be my max. I must have a big heart. ha ha!

It will be interesting to see if my legs hold out after that intense workout yesterday. I wonder if I'm really ready to do this somewhat intense training program. I'll be able to tell more after my workout on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment