Saturday, June 5, 2010

Race: Blue Mounds Trail Run: 11k

Today I raced the Blue Mounds 11k Trail run. It was my first ever race on a trail, so I wasn't sure what to expect. My basic goal was to "see how hard it is to run it comfortably fast." I was sort of frightened of the idea of mud and slippery spots, but somewhat excited by it too. I sometimes go for runs outside in the woods near me and it's always fun to try and jump around all the rocks and roots on the trail. It's part of the experience. There was definitely lots of that. There were even a couple of log bridges to cross!

The first little bit was pretty narrow and I had a hard time vying for my spot. After about 1/2 k of being forced to run at about 12-13 minute mile pace, I finally elbowed my way by some people and ran the next 1k or so at a pretty fast clip (somewhere around 7:30 min/mi.) We were running all downhill at this point, and it felt good. After that, the hills started. I ran the first few quite fast, passing people left and right. After about 1/2k of hills, though, I was starting to feel a little burned. I remember glancing at my watch and noticing that I'd been running only 2 miles.

The next few miles were honestly a haze. I had really bonked by then, I realize now, and it was mostly all uphill at this point. I can't remember the last time I had to walk in a race (I actually don't honestly think I ever have) but had to succumb to walking after about 2 solid miles of challenging hills. Once I reached the first aide station at about 4 miles, I was feeling quite tired. I gratefully drank my Gatorade down (which I had laughed about needing in a 11k race, come on people) and continued on.

From there the course was rolling up and down, winding in and out of the trees. It was by far the most pretty and enjoyable part of the run. (We were just north of the Mound, at this point.) There was only one man ahead of me that I was trying to keep in my sights. We pulled each other through till the end of the race, sometimes me ahead, sometimes him. Otherwise, all was calm.

The last challenge was a brutal uphill back on top of the mound. Most people had to walk this: it was the sort of incline that you have to hold onto your thighs and push them down in order to conquer...walking! One veteran of the race said afterward that once you could run this course the whole way, you could run the same distance easily in 6 min/mi. I believe it! My slowish finish time does NOT reflect how hard it was to finish that "fast."

Once we got to the top, it was just about 1/2 k to go. I drank another few swallows of Gatorade at aide station number 2 and then cruised to the finish (which was mostly downhill from there) at a 7 min/mile pace. It felt odd that I felt strong enough to do that after feeling so weak on the hills, but I definitely had some kick left. I finished 11th in my age group* and 60th overall.

Distance: 11k (although, according to the Garmin, it was more like 6.22 miles. That's closer to 10k. But the race billed itself as an 11k, sooooo I get to take credit for running 11k, right?

Time: 1:07:10 (from the time I crossed the start line.) 1:07:26 official time.

Pace: 9:50 min/mi

Would I do it again: Yes. In fact, I want to do it again soon. I feel like knowing the ups and downs of the course would make me better able to be a little more strategic about my running (like, don't blow by people on the first hills. They're not flying up them for a reason.)

How I felt afterwards: TIRED. Somewhat dizzy and had a headache too, I think from all the pounding. The race had EXCELLENT post race food (organic chocolate milk, homemade cookies of all kinds, fruit, bread and condiments, Gatorade (2X strength!), Chex mix: it was amazing.) which I partook of generously. I probably burned like a billion calories. My Garmin says that I climbed and descended about 2020 feet throughout the race. How I feel now, 6-7 hours later? Kind of crappy actually. Hopefully I fell better once I eat.

Race organization. AWESOME. See above.

Official Results Here

I think some people took pictures too, so I'll post them once they're up.

*If I had been a man, I would have been 3rd in my age group. Darned women who like to run!

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome Rachel! I don't think I could ever do that. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete