Monday, May 10, 2010

Taking Care of the Legs

This evening I treated myself to a long hot bath and a little self-administered pedicure. The hot pink polish on my toes was chipping, but now, after a coat of my favorite neutral color polish (Maybeline's foreverstrong "Brawny Tawny" - yikes) the old toes are looking great.

I realized today that I like taking care of my legs and toes. In some small way, it approaches the way I feel after I get back from a run - like I've just done something good for my body. Spring running is toning up my legs but I have to admit that the hot pink stuff made my feet look like they belonged to a college sorority girl. The new polish makes them look much more sophisticated. And it goes well with my legs.

Am I the only one who cares what running does to the legs? The funny thing is, I look at pictures of really, really good runners (Deena Kastor and Meb Keflezighi, for instance) and I just sort of wince at their sinewy limbs that look like muscles without skin. Do I want to look like that? No. Would I like to be able to run like that? HECK, yes. But I don't want their legs, thank you. I like the sort of "moderately toned" legs, I guess.

I suppose I don't have to worry about developing leg muscles like an elite runner. But still. It's the sort of thought that COULD hold you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment